Sunday, April 24, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup

When all the vitamin C in the world can do no more and your body gives in to being ill what is better than love and some chicken noodle soup?

As you may have notice I have not written this week, this is because I have been sick and along with sick comes cloudy sick brain. In replace of my creative thoughts are those of warm fuzzy blankets, my inhaler and my comfort foods. I am on the mend and my brain is starting to clear.

I noticed with myself I have several stages of sick; denial (I can’t be getting sick), resistance (take that sick), acceptance (bah I’m sick), hibernation (I’m going to sleep till I’m better), premature celebration (first sign of feeling better jump back into EVERYTHING), start back at beginning and then finally comfort food and all better.  This pattern may vary slightly based on my levels of sick but is pretty much constant.

Some of us handle sick much better than others; the tough people who would never let being sick slow them down until they are in the hospital, the over exaggerators who use sick days like vacation, the babies and the nurturers who still take care of others even if they are sick. I am definitely a bit of a baby when I’m sick. I think part of it is because I’ve hard my fair share of trips to the hospital with my asthma and surgery mishaps that when I start to get sick this aging fear sweeps over me and panic ensues that I may end back up in the hospital. My hospital trips have never been short visits more life a week to weeks, so my fear is slightly justified.

Sometimes, I believe, our bodies allow us to get sick on purpose to slow us down or teach us something. I know I have gotten sick more than a few times burning the candle at both ends and pushing myself to hard. Maybe we can take a lesson from being sick and learn to take better care of ourselves.

We can learn to take more time for ourselves, sleep in once in a while, have days locked in our room or on the couch, take long baths, take our vitamins and take care of ourselves as a whole. I think some of us take our health for granted thinking there is always a fix or a cure, I’ll deal with it when it happens. Wouldn’t it be better to prevent feeling like a big bag of poop to begin with?

We spend our time going from A to B, just trying to getting everything done on our list. It is rare that most of us take time to take care of us. So don’t wait to get sick to realize that you need to take time to wind down and take care of yourself. Remember you’re not indestructible, you do need to stop and recharge so that you can be your best at everything that you do.

If you have health, you probably will be happy, and if you have health and happiness, you have all the wealth you need, even if it is not all you want.  ~Elbert Hubbard



Lotsa Love,

Natasha

No comments:

Post a Comment