Monday, January 16, 2012

Baking Lessons


When I think of myself as a cook, I think bbq meat, awesome stir fry’s and yummy pasta’s, not an awesome desert. I can get by with baking, but where I really excel is having fun with different savory dishes in the kitchen, sauces, oils and spices oh my! This month I have had a lot more free time then I normally do and have become addicted to Pinterest, so while viewing all the deliciousness that everyone pins, I decided to explore the world of baking a little bit more. 

Delicious Home Made Artisan Bread!
One thing you have to know about me is that I’m not a very  patient person, this could be why baking and I have never hit it off… you rush baking and usually end up with disaster. This year instead of making New Years Resolutions I made goals or a state of mind that I wanted to have entering this crazy year, one was to be patient.

Since I’ve been exploring the realm of baking, my patients has been tested and rewarded. I have successfully made delicious artisan bread, monkey squares, cinnamon sugar pull a part bread and this week has a whole new world of possibilities waiting for me. I’m thinking lemon squares; maybe a different type of bread and seeing as it’s my sister’s birthday this week, who knows what else I will create!

One thing January has been teaching me (other than I’m not a Tylenol fan and I miss you Advil!) is that if you slow down and look around there is a lesson or room for growth in every moment. If I rush the recipe it will fail, just as if you rush certain life moments you’ll miss the sparkle in them. There is something therapeutic about spending a day with great company or alone, getting your hands dirty baking!

So maybe it won’t be baking for you, but try and find something that tests and teaches patience. Because I’m sure that is something that most of us could use a lot more of. Slow down, take a step back and enjoy the moment (or the fresh bread you just made).

Life fly’s by in a flash, so hit the pause button and just relax!

Lotsa Love,
Natasha

No comments:

Post a Comment