Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Workaholic?!?!


Remember when a work week ended on a Friday and was only 35-40hrs? I don’t…lol Somewhere along the line people have adapted to being ok with working more than they do anything else in their lives. How did this end up being ok? How is spending the majority of your life at work what any of us want?

There are many types of people, reasons and work environments that call for crazy work schedules. Everyone’s life, home and work situation is different so therefore the crazy workaholics all have different reasons for working the hours that they do.

For the love of the game- Some people (company founders, athletes, creative minds) throw themselves into their work because it is there passion…it is who they are. These people live, breathe and eat work, working crazy hours does not bother them because they are doing what they love.

Show me the money- Some people are money hungry or have an OCD about money. These people do not necessarily care what they’re doing, but will work just so they can have the dough rolling in.

I need the money- Some people are in a situation where one or two incomes is just not enough and they need to work 2+ jobs just to make ends meet. These people rarely enjoy when working and tend to resent the whole situation.

Means to an end- Some people have a goal or a target that they are working crazily, for a short period of time, towards. They have a light at the end of the tunnel, with their goal date in mind can usually plug through the madness.

Don’t want to go home- Some people throw themselves into work because it is better than the alternative of being at home and dealing with whatever they are hiding from; the stress of working crazy hours seems more appealing than dealing with whatever they’ve been avoiding in their personal lives.

How did this happen- Some people get into a situation where its believed to be temporary and years later they look back and wonder where has my last few years been spent…oh ya behind my desk. This is when they usually have their aha moments.

In my particular situation both of my jobs are quiet from January till February, so to ensure that I am working enough in the slow months, I need to keep both and am consequently working a lot right now. But I have a light at the end of my tunnel and every week it gets brighter and brighter.
I have learnt through years of work and open communication with my hubby that you need to make time for the things and people in your life that you’re working for. The dishes will still be there tomorrow, but will the people you are neglecting? With how much I have been working there are some things I have had to either put on hold or do less of, so that my time with my husband is not affected. Figuring out the give and take is the hardest part of balancing hectic and full schedules.

Remember there are only so many hours in a day, week, month or even year. As I get older I cannot get over how fast time flies, things change and what you can miss being chained to your desk. If you’re at a point where you are tired and frustrated, you need to decide why it is you are working so much, is it worth it and what are you trying to achieve or avoid. Sometimes the answer or solution is easy and right before your eyes, sometimes it’s a hard decision or realization.

Life flies by faster than we know it, so if at the end of the day we are not happy, then what are we doing wrong? Make choices that benefit you and your loved ones and remember life is more than a pay check and a desk to work behind.

All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.
Henry Ellis


Lotsa Love,
Natasha

No comments:

Post a Comment